A summary of racial related conversations in the last month:
1. “oh… you are Eliacin, I’ve been meaning to meet you. You are latino right? From Mexico!
– No, in spite of your idea of all latino’s on this side of the country being mexicans, I am Puerto Rican.
2. ” I don’t see your color. You are just a person to me. (Later in the same conversation) I love your bronze skin, your kids are so beautiful because they are mix-race.
3. (In reference to a brown skin, brown eyes, brown hair boy) Eliacin, your son is over protecting the dessert.
– Ladie, he is not my son. We might have brown skin, brown eyes and brown hair but we are not related.